The Mezzanine

notes from the cheap seats

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Machu. Picchu.

Sit, my friends and listen to my pearls of wisdom: With every action there is an equal and opposing reaction. Also, when life hands you lemons you must make lemonade, or lemon creme cookies, mmmm mmmm MMMM!

To wit, as soon as I finally got Photoshop installed on my computer, my wonderful companion and friend Nikon D50 (second closest companion next to Taurus, my 80 gig video ipod) has caught some sort of virus and is now coughing forth photo phlegm. In layman's terms, my camera is busted.

Awww, poor me. If everyone has caught their breath and finished crying over Nikon we can move on to the pictures I did manage to get.




Holy ancient ruins Batman! Machu Picchu is the shiz.biz! It's the bees knees! And of course, I had to ruin (get it?! hahaa..) some perfectly good scenery.



The whole experience is one I won't forget. The train ride, to the bus ride up the switchbacks, to our tiny tour guide Gladys, to just sitting there and watching birds fly around these gargantuan mountains.



Incans were pretty dang amazing in their ingenuity and probably their work ethic. I think if it'd been me, I'd have said "screw these stones, let's just build a couple bungalows." Thankfully, I wasn't a part of the Machu Picchu architectural committee.



The mystery behind these ruins is unparalleled. When it was discovered in 1911 there were mass graves found and by all calculations, something happened to drive the Incans to make a mass exodus from Machu Picchu. You can tell in certain areas that there are structures which weren't completed. It's an amazing place to theorize and imagine what could have happened.

Personally, I think it was either ninjas or dinosaurs that invaded, but that's just me.



My ultimate goal on this trip was also realized. I wanted to make sure I got a chance to be in some amazing place and play my melodica. I brought the dang thing specifically for that purpose and then subsequently got on my mission of purchasing an instrument in each city I visited (more on that later...). In fact the edit team has taken to calling me the Pied Piper. It was actually the best place to play, because the sound echoed throughout the ruins. So if you were at Machu Picchu the other day and you heard the piano notes for "Squalor Victoria" on a melodica- that was me.




It's just an incredible place. There's not much more I can say about it. I've dreamed of going there for years and years. I even want to come back some day and do the whole 4 day Inca Trail hike and soak in the entire experience of what it must have been like to live in that magical, mysterious world.

Here's a final shot of me overseeing the haps in the 'Picchu.



For more pictures check out my Flickr account. Link to the left, ya'll...

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger . said...

I wore that shirt today!

I love dinosaurs and ninjas!

Machu Piccu is cool too.
I guess.
I love you!
grace.

8:15 PM  
Blogger elastigirl said...

fantastic! this is why we all paid good money to get you out of our hair for two months-- accounts of epic, dramatic beauty steeped in history and mystery. just lovely honey. so glad you got to go.

and perhaps you should interrogate the t-rex and the ninjas as to the condition of the nikon?

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

+35323623 cool points for playing "The National" on an Incan ruin.

You are now level 56.

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home