The Mezzanine

notes from the cheap seats

Sunday, May 20, 2007

El Bano, my only Spanish

Two days ago I could only remember like 2 words in Spanish (well and the phrase that Cedro at the Dove taught me which means 'nice ass' which I promise I won't use, unless it's really really really really applicable.), now I am hola-ing and gracias-ing and adios-ing all over the place. It's pretty great. Trying to actually learn something while puttering about in a foreign land.

A couple quick things:

1) I don't know if these daily updates will be daily for much longer. Once the workload picks up I will probably have less time for this. Just so you know.

2) I have a skype account now. Username = bellurypants. Get it.

3) I forgot to mention yesterday that I have seen 3 instances where there has been graffiti of the word "Daniel". Maybe I am INfamous here? ("He's not famous, he's INfamous, which means more than famous!" - special prize to the first non-Bellury who knows what that is from...)

4) Bringing only one pair of jeans was stupid.

So anyway, today was good. Got some work done and have a good feeling about how the work flow will... flow. Had some quality meals with the crew. Breakfast was awesome and complimentary. Lunch was cozy and cheap.

But then... Dinner was freaking expensive! I was supposed to go to dinner with the other assistant editor and one of the cameramen, but the three of us got roped into going to dinner with the director and owners of the production company. And while dinner was excellent, and admittedly I did have a great time, the dinner turned out to be $140 each! Now, that is pesos, so it was really only like $45 US, but still my plan was to live off only $20 bucks a day US so that I can come home rich.

I really shouldn't complain. The dinner was great and probably would have cost at least $100 in New York. And I know it's ok to splurge now and then, I just am beating myself up about it so I won't get in the habit of it.

The owners of the company were really cool people and had lots of funny stories (they are an engaged or married couple), and they even got into a food fight was was ridiculous and awesome. I was definitely glad to get to know who I'm working for.

Ok, here are some pictures.


View from my hotel room


The Times Square of Buenos Aires


A flag.


The McDonalds corner. Apparently there are three at that intersection.


A pretty sign.


This big thing that tells me I'm close to my hotel. Kinda like a compass.


A funny sign that I don't understand.

Oh I forgot my 5th note and Kristian will be happy about this, I'm totally hooked on the show 'Heros'. I downloaded the first 3 episodes on iTunes and it rules. It's actually time for me to watch an episode and fall asleep.

Goodnight.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh.

"llookupher!llookupher!"

And that sign totally means you shouldn't pet your one wheeled turtle when you only have 8 hours and 50 minutes left to live.

=Robbo=

3:33 PM  
Blogger daniel bellury said...

"what is this?! amigos falling from the sky?"

"yes el guapo!"

duh, you're so smart. why are we so obsessed with turtles?

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home